resort_aerial_1042_400.jpg

Looking Back Through the Years

1986 
The company was established under the name Suomen Lomapörssi. The name was later changed to Holiday Club Resorts Oy

1998 
The company purchased Katinkulta and Kuusamon Tropiikki

2000 
The company purchased Tampereen kylpylä and sold the ski centre at Salla and the holiday centres at Airisto and Pyhäniemi

2001 
The company purchased Saariselkä and Oulun Eden, constructed dozens of holiday flats in Katinkulta and Kuusamo

2002
The new hotel and renovation of Tampereen kylpylä were completed, holiday flats were built in Saariselkä

2003
The company purchased Spa Hotel Caribia and the conference centre in Turku

2004 
The Spa Hotel in Åre, Sweden, was opened, first holiday flats in Hiekkaniemi, Katinkulta

2005 
The English real estate investment company London & Regional Properties became the new majority owner

2006
The Finnish Spa hotel business was sold to the S Group

2008 
Varma, Suomen Teollisuussijoitus, a group of private investors and the acting management became the new owners of the corporation

2009 
Rise to become the largest timeshare operator in Europe, holiday homes at new resorts: Saimaa, Naantali Residence, Ruka Village and Pyhä Holy Suites. The Salla hotel became Holiday Club Salla 

2010 
The Saimaa spa hotel project was started, a new product ‘Villas holiday homes’ was launched

2011
Five holiday home sites were purchased in the Canary Islands, the spa hotels of Kuusamo, Saariselkä, Katinkulta and Tampere were bought back from S Group 

2013
Saimaa golf course was opened, Angry Birds activity parks in Saariselkä, Saimaa and Gran Canaria 

2014 
Indian Mahindra Holidays&Resorts bought 23% of the company, new holiday flats in Katinkulta, Saimaa and Kuusamo
 
2015
Mahindra increased its shareholdings to 90%, other owners included Fennia and the management. Caribia in Turku was bought back from S Group

2016
Iiro Rossi became Managing Director when Vesa Tengman retired

2017 
Villas flats completed in Caribia/Turku, Himos, Kuusamo, Salla, Saariselkä and Åre 

2018 
Extensive renovations completed in Kuusamon Tropiikki and Saariselkä

2019 
Maisa Romanainen became Managing Director, Villas flats in Vierumäki, Caribia in Turku, Katinkulta, Saariselkä and Kuusamo

 

History of Holiday Club Tampereen Kylpylä

Commercial councellor Arthur Sommer was the father of the renowned Lapinniemi cotton yarn manufactory built in 1899. In the early years yarn and fabric were produced, and at best more than 1200 people worked in the factory. The yarn manufactory merged with Tampella in 1934, and the production was further sold to Finlayson and buildings to construction companies in 1984. The renovation of Kehräämö to a spa hotel began in 1987.

122 holiday apartments, meeting rooms and spa hotel were built into the old factory. The Lapinniemen Kylpylä spa opened its doors 2.7.1990 and the apartments were presented on a housing fair the same summer. The spa hotel of that time held a restaurant, small hotel, treatment department and spa. In 2002 a separate hotel building with 92 hotel rooms was completed.

History of Holiday Club Caribia

The Turku Student Village Foundation constructed the Caribia building in the 1970s originally for use as student and youth apartments. A restaurant and the nightclub Ikituuri, which has a legendary reputation in Turku, were established on the property in the early 1970s. The operations were also expanded to summer hotel activity. In 1974, construction work on Congress Center Turku was started.

In 1999, the property was purchased by a group of Turku-based businessmen and investors, and the building underwent considerable expansion and renovation. A spa department and a refurbished multipurpose hall, which was later christened RadioCity Areena, were added to the hotel at this point. The building was transformed into a modern congress hotel, which met international requirements and hosted several ministerial meetings and summits related to Finland’s EU presidency.

The Caribbean theme was retained and the hotel was thoroughly furnished in a colonial style in the rooms, restaurants and other common areas. The hotel’s specialities included, for example, genuine palm trees brought from the shores of Mediterranean Spain, the Ara parrot Aleksi, which greeted customers in the lobby and a seawater aquarium, the largest in Finland, with a volume of about 3,000 litres. The positive tourist image of Turku was strengthened by the complex built in the spirit of the Caribbean, the theme spa popular among families with children and Alvar Gullichsen’s sympathetic Posankka sculpture.

The spa and congress hotel Caribia passed from private ownership to Holiday Club Resorts Oy in 2003. The spa hotel operated for a few years until it became part of the Sokos Hotels chain in 2006. Another sale was announced on 1 October 2015, when Caribia was returned to the ownership of Holiday Club.

In 2016, Caribia was thoroughly renovated by Holiday Club. The building underwent complete reconstruction; for example, the hotel rooms were renovated and new restaurant and service concepts were introduced at the resort. In addition, new high-quality Holiday Club Villas apartments were also built at Caribia.

History of Holiday Club Saimaa

Holiday Club Saimaa is situated in an area with long traditions in hotel and boarding house services. The first hotel and spa centre, Rauha pensionaat for turister, was established in 1894 by property manager Gustav Alm. The Russian doctor Dimitry Gabrilovitsch purchased Rauha in 1912 to convert it into a sanatorium, which would provide a variety of services from various bath treatments to galvanic and bright light therapies. The clinic was quite forward-thinking in its time, as evidenced by the range of dietary and vegetarian foods served there. Visitors came from Russia, Poland, Romania, Prussia and America to enjoy the high-quality services – among them princes and barons with their families, along with numerous businessmen. 

The Rauha spa building burned down in 1923, after which the area was sold to the hospital district of Viipuri. The construction of a new hospital began in 1925, and the building was inaugurated on 22 November 1926. The hospital building was designed by Finnish architects. During World War II, the building served as a military hospital, and between 1946 and 1954 it housed a maternity hospital. The Rauha hospital was permanently closed in 2000. 

Now, the tradition of hotel and spa services that began over a century ago has finally returned with a diverse range of services.

About us

Holiday Club Resorts Ltd

Headquarters address
Hitsaajankatu 22
00810 Helsinki
Finland


Tel. +358 300 870 900, Mon–Fri 8.00 am to 3.30 pm.
Fax +358 30 686 8082
e-mail: firstname.lastname@holidayclub.fi

We use cookies and browser information on our site to improve the service. By continuing browsing, you agree to their use. More information here.

Accept